Together with the Nordic Investment Bank we launch a joint Open call with the purposeto find ideas for a temporary multi-parted mural paintingto our premises at Kaisaniemenkatu 9 in Helsinki.
- The theme for the painting project is Connection and we hope to find visually outstanding ideas for a multi-parted mural painting that connects the inner premises.
- The mural painting will altogether consist of 3–4 separate parts situated in different places in the building. The largest part will be executed on a painted semicircle concrete wall in the entrance hall of the Nordic Culture Point which is situated on the ground floor. The dimensions of this wall are 18 m wide and 2,90 m high. See the wall in our digital presentation of our cultural center and library. The wall painting does n´t have to cover the whole of the surface. The wall will be primed beforehand with a color chosen by the artist.
- The other parts of the mural painting will be executed on the first floor in the office premises of the Nordic Investment Bank. There are three optional walls with areas of about 8 –15 m2 each. The walls are situated on different spots on the first floor. Click this link for pictures of the walls.
Our vision is to find an interesting visual idea that is possible to adapt in way or another onto all these separate walls in order to create a both visual and conceptual connection between the painted parts.
- We presume the chosen artist to have former experience of working with murals or paintings in large format. The paintings will all be executed directly onto the wall and we wish that as environmentally friendly material as possible will be used in the painting process. Because of fire safety regulations all surfaces of the mural paintings must be smooth and the paintings are not allowed to have any loose or pointy parts attached.
- All professional artists with a permanent address in a Nordic country, regardless of nationality, are welcome to send us an application.
- We offer the selected artist an artist fee of 4000 € (tax included) for the executed artworks, as well as a daily allowance of 42€/workingday, the Finnish tariff.
- Our guest apartment at Suomenlinna, a Unesco world heritage site 10 minutes by ferry from the city centre, can be used free of charge during the working period, between August 4th – August 23rd. The opening of the artwork is planned to take place on Thursday 20th of August. Due to possible future Covid-19 restrictions the working period might be postponed.
- All artist supplies needed and the travel expenses for the artist will also be covered.
Please send us your CV, a brief description and/or rudimentary sketch of your idea and some examples of previous artworks as one pdf of max. 5 MB to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 14th of June 2020.
Please note that we only pay for the commissioned work and we therefor ask you not to invest time and work in a detailed proposal. Should we want more information before the selection we will get in touch.
The jury consists of representatives for the Nordic Culture Point and the Nordic Investment Bank. We reserve the right to freely select the commissioned work.
For more information please contact:
Senior advisor/ art & culture
Phone: +358 10 583 1015